Nightwish Once Album
Review The Album (5)
|Release information about the album|
Release Date: 05/31/2004
Tracks in Once: Dark Chest Of Wonders, Wish I Had An Angel, Nemo, Planet Hell, Creek Mary's Blood, The Siren, Dead Gardens, Romanticide, Ghost Love Score, Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan, Higher Than Hope, Bonus Tracks, White Night Fantasy, Live To Tell The Tale
Once Album Tracklist:
- Dark Chest Of Wonders Lyrics
- Wish I Had An Angel Lyrics
- Nemo Lyrics
- Planet Hell Lyrics
- Creek Mary's Blood Lyrics
- The Siren Lyrics
- Dead Gardens Lyrics
- Romanticide Lyrics
- Ghost Love Score Lyrics
- Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan Lyrics
- Higher Than Hope Lyrics
- Bonus Tracks Lyrics
- White Night Fantasy Lyrics
- Live To Tell The Tale Lyrics
Great album, but not their best.. | Reviewer: TheMetalHeadReviewer | 3/20/09
In 2004, symphonic metal band Nightwish released the album "Once". It was their most anticipated album to date. It featured a full orchestra (The same symphony from Lord of the Rings), which is not that common among the rock/metal scene. However, I still think this album is a little overrated in my opinion. Their songs with the exception of a few are not as well thought out as they were on previous albums like "Oceanborn" or "Wishmaster". Majority of the songwriting have got a lot simpler and most of the great keyboard and guitar work done from the previous albums are limited here. On a more positive note, I will say that the production is a lot better though than the previous albums and it seems that Tuomas lyrics are becoming more personal and dark. Here is my review of the songs:
1. Dark Chest Of Wonders: An excellent opening track to the album. It gives the impression that they were destined to kick ass. (9.1/10)
2. Wish I Had An Angel: Their most mainstream song to date. It really is more like a gothic techno song and is much more than a dance song. Not that great with nothing to get excited about. (5.8/10)
3. Nemo: Another mainstream hit. Better than "Wish I Had An Angel" and has a gothic, mysterious sound that really sounds cool. Not their best, but a good listen. (7.5/10)
4. Planet Hell: This is by far the best song on the album. A kick ass, metal song with incredible vocals and orchestral instrumentation that will make your head spin. The duet from Tarja and Marco are just mindblowing and epic! Indeed one of their best songs ever! (9.7/10)
5. Creek Mary's Blood: A ballad with describes the hardships of Native Americans during the settlement of Europeans. Very emotional and by far one of their best ballads ever! (9.2/10)
6. The Siren: A moderately made metal driven songs with cool vocals from Tarja. Another standout track. (8.5/10)
7. Dead Gardens: This is where the album slips a little here. It really does not do much for me. Starts out like another gothic dance song and this basically it. The songwriting is a little weak and unoriginal also. (5.8/10)
8. Romanticide: Now the album starts to get better with this track. Clearly better than "Dead Gardens" and it will kick you ass too. An excellent track showing off the more angry and heavy side of Nightwish. It has one of Emmpu's best solos too. Great song. (8.8/10)
9. Ghost Love Score: This is one of Nightwish's most epic sounding songs. Not really a heavy song like "Romanticide" or "Planet Hell", but if you like symphonic music, this is for you! Excellent track. (9.0/10)
10. Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan: A slow song sang entirely in Finnish. Beautiful lyrics and music to back it up. Worth a listen. (7.9/10)
11. Higher Than Hope: Another slow song. More of a rock ballad. It's okay, but not better than some on this album. (7.4/10)
12. White Night Fantasy: A bonus track on this album. It has its moments, but it is not really that great and Tarja sounds weird a times on this track. It has a nice accostic guitar solo though, just enough to save it from mediocrity (6.8/10)
13. Live to Tell The Tale: Another bonus track. It starts with an interesting major scale progression on the synth keyboard, reminding you of a song from the 1980's. The song gets better though and gets dark sounding quick to give the song a boost, but it still is not that great of a track. (7.0/10)
Overall, a great album to pick up if you never heard of this band before. This is considered their best album ever, but I disagree to a point. Once has a few fillers and some songs use a familiar song structure which can leave people skipping a few tracks. It's probably a tad better than "Century Child" and "Angels Fall First", and is way better than "Dark Passion Play" but not better than "Oceanborn" or "Wishmaster". Nonetheless, still a nice album to have.
Pros: Excellent sound and vocals; a few memorable tracks; good lyrics.
Cons: A couple of filler songs; some songs sound like they run together too easily.
"Once" overall album rating: (8.4/10)
Once | Reviewer: Yvette H | 5/20/08
Once is a fantastic album featuring "Wish I had an Angel" from the Movie Alone in the Dark starring Christian Slater and Tara Reid also the Hit song Nemo was also in "The Cave" these are the 2 songs that made me seek Nightwish Out in the first place Once was the first Album I ever purchased and is amazing, its wonderful lyrics and fantastic voice of Tarja Turunen have made me a 37yo woman I die hard nightwish Fan. A wonderful worthwhile AlbumA
Once | Reviewer: Yvette H | 5/20/08
Once is a fantastic album featuring "Wish I had an Angel" from the Movie Alone in the Dark starring Christian Slater and Tara Reid also the Hit song Nemo was also in "The Cave" these are the 2 songs that made me seek Nightwish Out in the first place Once was the first Album I ever purchased and is amazing, its wonderful lyrics and fantastic voice of Tarja Turunen have made me a 37yo woman I die hard nightwish Fan. A wonderful worthwhile Album
Nightwish | Reviewer: Slav3T0Darkn3ss | 11/23/07
this is one of my fav albums from nightwish. when i first bought it i thought it sucked. but now, Nightwish is my fav band :)
first review | Reviewer: Paul | 7/15/07
I happen to like this album, the songs on it were good and before I bought the CD I listened to the songs on the internet...
The following area is for review about the album.
Recommend the album to your friends.