I am an atheist | Reviewer: Maddie | 4/21/11

I prefer to believe that there is no god. To me it is simpler, and I think that it is dangerous to waste life praying , as life is certain, and the afterlife isn't, and I would hate to have wasted the only opportunity for happiness if it turns out there is no god. But I still try to be the best person I can be, and in my experience, atheists tend to be more selfless, as they are kind, not for the reward of getting into heaven, but to be altruistic.
Also, I disagree with how some atheists believe that religion is the cause of war. Everyone has the right to believe in what they choose, as long as it's not sexist, racist etc. It is intolerance of religions that starts wars, and there may be a war between atheists and theists in the future.
So, no, I'm not an aggressive atheist, but I don't like it when people call us ignorant.

its about lyrics not an argument | Reviewer: Anonymous | 4/19/11

I think that any intelligent and well-researched person could make the claim that there are both legitimate reasons to believe and not believe in God. However, we do not know the truth, and this is not the place to argue about it.

What this song describes is humanity's obsession with and extreme fear of death; our experience as we move towards that end; the questions we ask ourselves and the thoughts that run through our head before we die.

Don't use Pascal's Wager | Reviewer: TheFifthGreatApe | 4/20/11

My problem seems to be WHICH one to 'believe' in. What about Hinduism or Islam? What about Wotan or Thor? To all Theist here: How do you know you are on the 'right path'?

I prefer to remain neutral on the subject.

I don't claim i know. | Reviewer: Anonymous | 4/17/11

The truth is we have no idea what lies after death for us, and this song is a perfect ode to the fears that every living person has of death, of the unknown, of anything and everything that awaits us beyond the grave should there be another existence.
Atheism does not arrogantly claim knowledge of some fantasy of eternal bliss, we simply sit in awe of the unfathomable nature of our life and death. Long live muse, speak the truth of a new generation.

Thoughts of a dying atheist | Reviewer: Jack | 4/15/11

It boils down to reason Vs. faith. Reason utterly fails to explain god without introducing a tangled web of contradictions. The concept of god is above and beyond that which our human minds can grasp. Everyone who is anyone already recognizes this.

So we have faith. Without the burden of reason to weigh us down we can say that god exists. Without the logical thought process to convince me of the contrary I can just as well say that the tooth fairy exists.

Atheists don't believe in god, and that is the extent of their agreement. To claim that all atheists are this or that is just wrong.

I for one don't need to rely on pipe-dreams to help me live a pure and honest life.

I am a believer. | Reviewer: Taylor | 4/12/11

For all of you athiests out there. How do you think we were created? Don't you think that it is more probable that our God created us than us being made or stardust? I think it is kind of silly to believe that a star just exploded and boom here we are! With air, grass, water, birds, bugs, and you! When you die, where do you think you are going? I am going to heaven to eternally live forever with christ. Yes, I do like this song. But, do you want to be this man? Do you want to be afraid of death? Uncertain of what will happen to you? Because I know where I am going. I would hate to have an opportunity to help other accept Christ Jesus into their heart and go to heaven. If you want to know more or you think you want to accept Jesus, e-mail me.

Hell? | Reviewer: Anonymous | 4/8/11

To those believers, how can you say that Jesus died to save us from hell? That think didn't exist until 1000 AC... And how comes human being are so special. Trees, birds, dogs are also living being. What happens to them?

Religion exist to explain the unexplained. God did not create the universe, humanity created God.

Personally, I am still not sure if I am an atheist or not. What I am sure about, is that any kind of worship lead by human being is bullshit. A tool to manipulate masses. History showed it many times, in many forms of religion. However, most religion Dogma should be use as a life guide.

Enlightenment will comes when you have the ability to judges what is good or wrong. When you can ask yourself what you can do to make the world better.

Evidence | Reviewer: Anonymous | 4/6/11

I was raised a Christian and I currently struggle with what I believe. Do what I did and consider a "for and against" list where you list why you think there might be a god and why you think there might not. Take a long time and think it over. Be really honest about the strength of your evidence either way (one of mine, and why I like this song so much, was "I don't want this to be all there is"). Probably my best evidence in favor was a personal unusual experience of euphoria (not drug related) which is incredibly subjective and not really persuasive after consideration (the human mind is actually able to influence itself with some effort, which I learned from practicing cognitive therapy although I can't say I'm skilled at it).

I was very sad when I discovered I didn't believe in god anymore. It wasn't a decision, really; my argumentative list was actually an attempt to rekindle my belief. But I was also sad to learn as a little girl that fairies weren't real. In my view, it's an important part of being an adult to accept things as they are, not as you wish they were.

What I'm saying, and I don't intend offense by this, but you can hold on as tightly as you like to the hope in an afterlife but that doesn't mean there is any evidence that there is one.

Atheism is not solipsism | Reviewer: Anonymous | 4/6/11

A response to the person who said atheists are selfish: I volunteer precisely because I believe this is all there is. I don't think people deserve to suffer because this is the only life they have. I don't believe I am the only being in existence because there is strong evidence that I am not.

There is zero evidence that the supernatural exists, however.

Religion has made a fair go of it for the past several thousand years of recorded history. It doesn't have the best track record. It's true that there have been some awful people out there who were atheists, but let me tell you the difference in my mind. An irreligious pedophile has nowhere to hide once found out. A religious pedophile does. The case I have personal experience with occurred in an evangelical protestant church, not a Catholic one. The elder who raped the eight year old was able to spin it as a case of demonic temptation and the church closed ranks around him, urging forgiveness, and he was never reported. Until he raped more children and THEIR parents reported him rather than "leave it in God's hands."

I'm sorry but I've seen religion excuse too much and protect and promote evil people.

Atheism - funny | Reviewer: Eero | 4/1/11

It's so funny how ppl can believe that this is it. That when you die, you cant think, you cant feel anything, that there is nothing! Where your mind goes? Where your soul goes? God made world. NO! No in seven days! It's a symbol. Maybe one day means one bilion years to god. Maybe. We'll never know.

Muse is still my favorite band. I dont care if they are atheists. I pray that someday, they'll find the truth.

God bless you.

A strong voice (of dissent) | Reviewer: Daniel | 3/17/11

To "A simple voice, a strong voice"

>> If I die and there is nothing, I will never know. But if I die and there is something, my dying day will be the happiest of my life.

There's no guarantee of that- remember there's another option for the afterlife in Christian doctrine- the rather warmer one. So you have something to fear when you die- atheists do not. If you reject that, then the atheists are going to join you anyway and they are going to get a very pleasant surprise.

>> "There are no benefits in atheism. It cannot better the world. It cannot quell the harms of society because it is a byproduct of society."

Assuming that statement even had some validity, organised religion is a byproduct of society- that's something that's beyond any possibility of dispute- therefore by this "argument", it cannot quell the harms of society.

Atheism however is not a byproduct of society- it is a personal position- it doesn't need to be drilled into you from a young age to be accepted, unlike the self-contradictory teachings of religion.

Religion's had a good run at solving society's ills. Let's see if being in touch with reality does a better job.

>> Atheism says "All I believe in is me" without realizing how selfish that sentence is.

Firstly atheism says nothing- it's not a dogma- it's a personal position.

Secondly, that's not at all an atheistic position. What an atheist actually believes is that they can choose to think for themselves, follow natural standards of ethics and believe in what they choose. I suggest you actually discover what real atheists actually believe- leaders of organised religions tend knowingly to create demonised strawmen of atheists as those who reject religion because they have abandoned morals to live selfishly. Typically those who abandon religion do so to live a happier, less-conflicted, less guilt-ridden, less fearful life where they can do what they know is right without being told that black is white and threatened with damnation if they argue.

Christians claim that their morality derives from the teachings of the bible- the core of which is the ten commandments. Let's take just one of these (Exodus 35:2): "Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death." No modern Christian actually supports killing those who work on Sundays. The bible's morality is essentially ignored by modern Christians, except for very carefully cherry-picked pieces, since there are simply too many cases where it conflicts with natural ethics. Understand that natural ethics are external to religion and modern religion simply chooses to fall in line with those and ignore the masses of older dogma that doesn't fit with that. Once you understand that then you will understand that someone outside your religion can have a strong ethical system.

>> God is the answer to why, not the answer to how. God and science walk hand in hand, and yet the reviewer that wrote "What a Pisser" thinks that evolution debunks God.

Evolution doesn't debunk God, except perhaps the literal biblical made-the-world-in-seven-days God that fortunately isn't a common belief these days. It's just a major piece in the puzzle that makes the God hypothesis unnecessary to make sense of the world.

>> Where is the hurt in religion? It does not inspire harms to others, humanity inspires harm to others. These pastors that condemn Islam, that burn the Koran, they are humans, they are not the religion.

And guns don't people- it's people with guns who kill people. It's not religion that's the problem- when it's relegated to a curiosity that our ancestors believed in, it won't be a danger- it's belief in religion (and religious leaders) that inspires self-righteous acts of inhumanity, and leaves people vulnerable to manipulation.

>> All I can say to atheists is:
>> Good luck. If you wish to change your mind, do so, but don't attempt to change mine, because I know the truth.

I don't intend to attempt to change your mind. I do however hope that you will grow personally and put these beliefs behind you in time. I see some really positive signs that religion is finally fading away. Perhaps with religious differences behind us, we will actually be able to build a better world.

And my review of the song- could barely understand a word when sung- that's why I had to come to get the lyrics- if you have a song with a message, then let the message be heard over the instruments.

I love muse... | Reviewer: shabalabadingdong | 3/10/11

I love Muse... But my faith in my religion (which includes the belief of God Jesus and Holy ghost) are moderately strong as of right now. And I say as of right now because I have my doubts sometimes. But then I say "hey, I'm only human, I'm blessed that I can even point out my wrongs and rights... But since God is the most forgiving person (at least in my world) I'll try to make myself better" that doesn't mean I can't like Muse because my beliefs differ from theirs I try to be as accepting as I possibly can. Another thing: I believe what I believe is right, and no one will change my mind, I can change my own mind.

this song is sad | Reviewer: Yolanda | 3/6/11

This song is exactly why a person should pick up a Bible and read it. If you know the Lord you have no reason to be afraid or wonder what happens after you die. Matthew 7:21...believing in God is not enough.

I just don't understand | Reviewer: A simple voice, a strong voice | 3/3/11

My first point:

If I die and there is nothing, I will never know. But if I die and there is something, my dying day will be the happiest of my life.

My second:

There are no benefits to atheism. It cannot better the world. It cannot quell the harms of society because it is a byproduct of society. Atheism says "All I believe in is me" without realizing how selfish that sentence is.

I don't condemn atheists. They condemn themselves. If they wish to scoff at my words, so be it. But remember that that is their choice and not mine.

Third point:

God is the answer to why, not the answer to how. God and science walk hand in hand, and yet the reviewer that wrote "What a Pisser" thinks that evolution debunks God.

Where is the hurt in religion? It does not inspire harms to others, humanity inspires harm to others. These pastors that condemn Islam, that burn the Koran, they are humans, they are not the religion.

All I can say to atheists is:

Good luck. If you wish to change your mind, do so, but don't attempt to change mine, because I know the truth.

Big picture. | Reviewer: Anonymous | 3/3/11

I think the primary reason people choose to believe in a god is for the afterlife, and they fear that if they do not believe they won't go to heaven or nirvana. In other words I can say "religion is the fear of not believing". If an atheist dies and lets say doesn't go to heaven, then his body will rot 6 feet under and he won't know it. He won't feel sadness, disappointment or any emotion. He is gone. So live life. And don't be afraid.